Tuck Drives in Five, Baycats Beat Majors in Resumption of Sunday Contest

by Sam Hossack

LONDON - The bats for the Barrie Baycats came to play in London on Sunday (and Monday) evening. 

In a game that began on Sunday, the Barrie Baycats defeated the London Majors 13-7 on Monday. Barrie improves to 12-15 on the season.

With the loss, the Majors fall to 19-7.


An explosive start for the Baycats at Labatt Park had the team cruising in the early innings.  

Avery Tuck kickstarted the offense for the Baycats in the top of the first inning when he took a pitch from starter Jarryd Lund for a ride to right field for a leadoff home run. 

Speaking following his four-hit game, Tuck was confident. "I think what was clicking for me, was focusing on just getting the boys going and having a good at-bat, not forcing anything and letting it come.“

It was just the start for the Baycats. They exploded for six more runs during the inning. Jake MacDonald would rope a single into center field, and then Ryan Rijo hit a deep drive to left field for a double; that would put the Baycats up 2-0.

Marcel Lacasse and Mike Cecchetto both proceeded to earn walks before a David LeBlanc single and a Carson Burns two-run single blew things wide open for the Baycats.

Jarryd Lund, who was making his first start of the season for the Majors, would face seven hitters, allowing five runs on five hits. He did not record an out.

“I have never been a part of a game that had to resume the next day." Tuck continued. "That was very different, but I think what helped us come back ready for tonight was the team getting together, having dinner, talking baseball, and just bond[ing]. I think that helped us stay focused on the task that was still at hand, but come back loose and ready to battle together."

Through a pair of singles, Rijo and Lacasse would each drive in runs during the fifth inning. 

The London Majors would slowly climb back into the game to make things interesting in the late innings. They collected one run in the third, two in the fourth and four in the fifth to cut the Baycats lead to 11-7.

Andrew Grieder, who started the game from the second-inning resumption point tonight (in relief of Sunday starter Riley Hoover), was brilliant for the Baycats, going 6 2/3 innings, allowing four runs on ten hits with eleven strikeouts.

“It was a great night for some baseball," said Grieder postgame. "Need to continue to work on the location of my fastball, but overall everything was feeling good today. As a starter, I try and slowly increase intensity throughout the game to save for the late innings. Tonight the body and arm felt great and [I] was able to get the job done. Love this squad. On to the next one!”

Tuck also spoke on Grieder's start. "It was awesome watching Andrew do his thing up there, and just be an absolute dog on the mound for the boys. Couldn’t have asked for more from him.” 

Brad Grieveson would come into the game to close for the Baycats. He went 1 1/3 innings with two strikeouts. 


"Again, been preaching all year, get it going early. We can get a lead and run with it. We have the pitching and we have the bats. Just want to see us put it together for the next 3 before the playoffs.

It’s huge. We love playing London and facing all the best pitchers in the league. It was great to show up against great teams. Exactly what we need heading towards the playoffs."


Avery Tuck was incredible for the Baycats tonight. He went four-for-five with the first-inning home run and five RBI. Postgame, he was named Baycats Player of the Game.


The Baycats face off against the Brantford Red Sox on Thursday. On Friday, the team will head to Welland. After that, the regular season will conclude in Barrie as the Kitchener Panthers will visit Coates Stadium.

For more information, follow the Baycats on Facebook and Twitter at @iblbaycats, on Instagram at @barriebaycats, and on YouTube at Barrie Baycats TV.

And remember to shop at our online shop by clicking here.

Lastly, remember that you can buy tickets to all of our home games here.

Photo: Bob Hurley/Bob Hurley Photography